
The Lovely Bones is a story that freaks me out at the major possibility of it happening. The situations and events that occur throughout are so real and relatable that it makes the story scary.
One of the main things that make the book scary is the place where we see everything take place. It’s a nice little neighborhood. It’s a neighborhood that could very much be my own neighborhood as a kid. And look what happened. When I was younger my mom would always tell me be careful, don’t talk to strangers, etc. We all have heard the known advice and warnings of parental figures. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that we all think we are invincible when we are younger or that we just don’t think about bad things ever happening to us. We’re too trustworthy as kids and Susie is no different. This story is sort of a “what if” tale – this could happen to anyone anywhere. And that is scary.
Another part of the book that makes it scary is Mr. Harvey. Wow. Talk about creep factor with this one. Actually, I think he makes a fantastic “bad guy.” Who doesn’t know someone like Mr. Harvey? I think we can all recall at least one person in our lives that was a quiet, somewhat odd person. Add in the fact that he likes to build dollhouses, and of course rape and kill several women. Obviously, we know from the start that he is the villain, but I think that Sebold’s characterization of him makes him that much worse as the villain. Like I stated, he’s creepy to begin with and the little details she provides us (his hobbies, his reactions to things, etc.) make him all the more worse.
Sticking with the aspect of characters, I think that Sebold created several fabulous characters. The family she gives us – the Salmons – is wonderful. They are all likable (some may have issues with the mother…) and the fact that we are with them from the start, we sort of go through what they are going through – and it tugs at our hearts. I mean, at times, I found myself wanting to scream when the police wouldn’t listen. And what about her mother and Len?? I found it shocking, but I think that it actually added to the story. We saw how this family reacted to this tragedy and interacted with each and even grieved about it.
There weren’t too many things that I disliked about the story. One major issue I had through was the whole Susie inhabits Ruth body. I absolutely hated this part of the book. I found it completely weird. I liked the character of Ruth and her “abilities,” and I didn’t even put two and two together and figure out that Susie would communicate through her. All in all, I just didn’t like it.
A few things that I liked about it besides the characters and the setting were the icicle and Lindsey’s journey into Mr. Harvey’s house. First, the icicle. I loved how Susie told us about the icicle – it’s the perfect weapon beside it melts away. I loved that! And then how Mr. Harvey is foiled and dies because of an icicle is brilliant. It makes you wonder if Susie had a little hand in that or not. I found that Lindsey’s journey into Mr. Harvey’s house was a great suspenseful scene. It had me guessing whether or not she would be caught, and the Salmons would have to deal with the same thing all over again. I’m glad that Sebold had her escape – I’m not sure what would’ve happened if he caught her.
Overall, I liked the book. I think it started out great and just went from there. That first little bit of the book was intense and immediately drew me into the situation and story at hand. I wasn’t sure how the whole dead teenager as a narrator would work, but it did. And it worked very well. I guess in a way that gave the reader possibilities about this “what if” scenario.
One of the main things that make the book scary is the place where we see everything take place. It’s a nice little neighborhood. It’s a neighborhood that could very much be my own neighborhood as a kid. And look what happened. When I was younger my mom would always tell me be careful, don’t talk to strangers, etc. We all have heard the known advice and warnings of parental figures. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that we all think we are invincible when we are younger or that we just don’t think about bad things ever happening to us. We’re too trustworthy as kids and Susie is no different. This story is sort of a “what if” tale – this could happen to anyone anywhere. And that is scary.
Another part of the book that makes it scary is Mr. Harvey. Wow. Talk about creep factor with this one. Actually, I think he makes a fantastic “bad guy.” Who doesn’t know someone like Mr. Harvey? I think we can all recall at least one person in our lives that was a quiet, somewhat odd person. Add in the fact that he likes to build dollhouses, and of course rape and kill several women. Obviously, we know from the start that he is the villain, but I think that Sebold’s characterization of him makes him that much worse as the villain. Like I stated, he’s creepy to begin with and the little details she provides us (his hobbies, his reactions to things, etc.) make him all the more worse.
Sticking with the aspect of characters, I think that Sebold created several fabulous characters. The family she gives us – the Salmons – is wonderful. They are all likable (some may have issues with the mother…) and the fact that we are with them from the start, we sort of go through what they are going through – and it tugs at our hearts. I mean, at times, I found myself wanting to scream when the police wouldn’t listen. And what about her mother and Len?? I found it shocking, but I think that it actually added to the story. We saw how this family reacted to this tragedy and interacted with each and even grieved about it.
There weren’t too many things that I disliked about the story. One major issue I had through was the whole Susie inhabits Ruth body. I absolutely hated this part of the book. I found it completely weird. I liked the character of Ruth and her “abilities,” and I didn’t even put two and two together and figure out that Susie would communicate through her. All in all, I just didn’t like it.
A few things that I liked about it besides the characters and the setting were the icicle and Lindsey’s journey into Mr. Harvey’s house. First, the icicle. I loved how Susie told us about the icicle – it’s the perfect weapon beside it melts away. I loved that! And then how Mr. Harvey is foiled and dies because of an icicle is brilliant. It makes you wonder if Susie had a little hand in that or not. I found that Lindsey’s journey into Mr. Harvey’s house was a great suspenseful scene. It had me guessing whether or not she would be caught, and the Salmons would have to deal with the same thing all over again. I’m glad that Sebold had her escape – I’m not sure what would’ve happened if he caught her.
Overall, I liked the book. I think it started out great and just went from there. That first little bit of the book was intense and immediately drew me into the situation and story at hand. I wasn’t sure how the whole dead teenager as a narrator would work, but it did. And it worked very well. I guess in a way that gave the reader possibilities about this “what if” scenario.
By the way, I really love the title... :)
4 comments:
Hooray! Someone else who didn't like the Susie-possesses-Ruth scene!
It just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the novel. And it was superweird. I can't even believe Ray just went with it, and knew it was Susie...I thought the whole scene was inauthentic, and considering you point out the plausibilities that exist in this novel, it's kind of jarring in contrast.
Great post!
Fell in love with that book when I read it when it first came out.
The film was haunting.
But brilliant.
Her writing is stunning and read Lucky and Almost Moon <3
I agree with the Susie-possesses-Ruth scene. That scene totally disrupted by suspension of disbelief. I was completely thrown out of the story by that scene. I understand the rationale behind including it (letting Susie have her "one moment"), but I don't think it worked.
As for the mom. I totally got the mom. As a mother myself, and as someone who has fairly recently gone through a traumatizing loss, I understood her desire to pull away. She had devoted her life to her children. Discovering how easily one could be taken made her realize that she needed to live for herself. Was it selfish? Perhaps. But self-preservation often is. I think if she had not done what she did, she would have lost her mind. That aspect of the book was very realistic to me. I commend Sebold for not cowing to the "we'll get through it together" cliche.
I think people grieve alone.
I wasn't a big fan of that scene either. I understand the "feeling" behind it and in terms of giving the reader some satisfaction, finally allowing Susie to really communicate...yeah, okay. I see the point. Personally, I didn't need it.
Abbey, you really hit the nail on the head. Quiet America. What could go wrong in a sleepy small community? Well rape and murder, that's what! I live in a small town and that stuff does NOT happen. When something tragic does, you better believe the community, not just the family, is affected. And it's incredibly unnerving to say the least.
Death by icicle is awesome. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that out in CA ;-).
Post a Comment