
First thing first – my only actual experience with Stephen King books has been Salem’s Lot and Desperation. All my other Stephen King experience has been through movie versions of his work. Oh…shame, shame on me.
I know that the movie version of The Shining has become super infamous, I guess maybe even cult worthy? I don’t even think I could tell you the first time I actually watched the movie version, let alone how many times. With that said, I was really excited when I saw this title on our list for this class.
From the start of my reading of this book, I noticed tons of stuff that was either different or completely nonexistent from that of the movie version – which is common for pretty much any movie based off of a book. Anyway, throughout reading this book I really enjoyed the simultaneously thoughts/points of views that we got. Without this, I don’t think the story would have been as expertly told. By this, I mean that the story and events would not have been as solid if they were from one person’s viewpoint. Such as we all had issues with Eleanor from The Haunting of Hill House, what would we think about this story had it been told from Jack’s focus? I think that by the reader getting these multiple points of view, it adds a sense of realness to the story. If the same things are happening to more than one person in the story, well then, it must actually be true, right?
One thing that I did like from the book that you don’t really know much about from the film version is all the details about the hotel itself – I liked getting the history of the hotel. I found it interesting when Jack found the scrapbook and went through all those little various incidents, and how we got a hint at them through Danny.
Even though there are all these little things I like about the book, I think that the overall story is great. We have this little family, who although have had their rough times, love each other, but we also have these two individual who are plagued by their past – especially Jack. I liked how King places little bits of past information and events that reflect who both Jack and Wendy – mostly Jack – are. These little flashbacks sort of gave me sympathy for Jack, but as I said, they also gave a sense of who Jack is/became. Granted, I understand that the whole setup of them being secluded at the hotel has majorly pushed Jack to go crazy, but I also think – was it bound to happen? Was he bound to end up like his own father? Was it a vicious cycle?
One thing I thought was odd about the book, but played a part in the delusional fun at the Overlook was the hedge animals. The first incident with them I found it odd and I would freak out myself if I thought a hedge animal moved, but when they actually physically attacked – well, I just thought, enough with the hedge animals! They’re just hedge animals!
Overall, I enjoyed the story. I think that Stephen King is a great storyteller with fabulous ideas that come into his mind. I didn’t care much for the oooo scariness in this book as I did for the past few – but I think that is because I enjoyed the movie version, so I figured I would already like the book from the start.
PS - In case you didn't know...Stephen King weekend on AMC. Watch for the The Shining!
4 comments:
Oh, the hedge animals. I agree with you; it works when you've got the room to psych yourself out, but when they actually attack, ( aka we actually see the monster), it's never as scary as what your mind can do to it.
Even when the miniseries did the hedge animals, as soon as you physically see them move they get really silly.
Nice post! Great mentioning the cycle of violence. It really makes you wonder if Jack was going to lose it no matter what place he was in.
I also agree with you about the hedge animals. In fact, I think there are often elements of King's books that just don't translate well to film (I'm also thinking of the giant spider-thing in It). But I guess that's often true. Of Mice and Men has a place in it, right before the horrific ending, where Lennie hallucinates a giant rabbit. It works in the book, but would have completely destroyed the ending in the movie. That's likely why Kubrick--one of the all-time best directors--left that part out of the movie. And, although I understand why King had the mini-series made (since Kubrick skipped over the best of the themes), I think that part would have been best left to the imagination. I can deal with it in the book, but when it's made visual, it just becomes too silly.
(p.s. the Kubrick reference was for The Shining, not for Of Mice and Men... my antecedents are unclear... pardon!)
Shame, shame upon you, Abbey French! I had to say it.
The film rocks my socks, you know this. And I hate to point fingers (in a good way), but Nicholson and Kubrick MAKE the film what it is. And it's masterful. Film Danny always annoyed me...but book Danny annoyed me more and made me a bigger fan of film Danny. That kid actually did an amazing job. I'm not sure why I didn't care for Danny in the book...maybe I'm alone in that. As for Wendy, I really am happy she lived, but she really annoyed me. I wonder if Shelly meant to play it that way. Her voice....I mean....ugh. HAHA!
I enjoyed the back and forth POV and had NO clue about the history of the hotel from the film. I'm glad we learned more about it from the novel. You know that I write in first person and really love it, but I think King did a really great job at shifting POV. It was smooth and consistent. Definitely an author I want to study more closely for that reason alone.
Anyway, I was all about Jack Torrance, Christine, Cujo and of course, Miss Carrie White last weekend. AMC wasn't the only one crazy for Stephen King!
Post a Comment