Monday, December 5, 2011

Ghostbusters



All right, so I have to say it. I did not want to watch this movie. I understand that it was a big hit for all of those who watched it when it came out, but it just never appealed to me. Therefore, I had never seen it until I had to watch it for this course. And it took all I could to watch it.

I noticed that it was on TV about a month ago, so I figured that I should watch it while I had the chance. Flipped the channel, propped up a pillow, and leaned back to enjoy. All I thought while it was slowly getting to the end was, this is sooo long. Maybe it was the commercials or maybe it was my lack of interest, but I wanted to change the channel or just simply turn off the television. Let me be honest, maybe I’m just so used to the modern day special effects and all of that hoo-haw that I was sort of not swept right away with the effect from 1984. Maybe..?

I’ll stop complaining now. I get that it was a comedy. I completely understand that. And it was funny – at times. Little things throughout the movie made me laugh. Honestly, I guess the fact that it was a comedy poked some fun at the fact of their “job” of choice. I mean, some shows that are out there now about ghost hunters and such are funny, but that’s a completely other situation. Back to the comedy and some of the things that I did find funny and like. The cleaning lady near the beginning of the movie when they are chasing the green blob cracked me up when she was almost shot (laser beamed?). I really enjoyed the character Louis and his “relationship” with Dana. I rather love Rick Moranis, so maybe that’s why I liked the character Louis, but I found his never-ending attempts at Dana funny. It reminded me of the typical “nerd likes the popular girl” scenario, but it made me laugh. It was like Louis didn’t realize how much of a dork he really was.

Seeing as though the movie was about ghosts and removing them, the movie wouldn’t be complete without some sort of possession – and of course, it had to be the love interest of one of the characters. Expected or unexpected with Dana becoming possessed, I thought it was a little on the weird side – maybe because she was trying to seduce to find the Keymaster? I don’t know…just weird to me. The last thing that I wanted to mention was the marshmallow man. I’m not sure if it was to be a humorous element put in place of a scary one or not. I’m guessing yes. Anyway, it stuck out as one the most memorable parts…when they become covered in all the goo. Oh, and who could ever forget the lovely song that goes along with it all – I found myself singing it in my head while I typed this.

Overall, I thought that the movie was all right. It was okay. I mean it worked. All of the elements present, from the comedy standpoint (with the various humorous sayings and characters) to the horror/ghost standpoint (it was creative and had some action packed parts), meshed well to create something memorable. Would I watch it again? I doubt it, but it was worth a shot.

2 comments:

Chris V said...

I agree there weren't a ton of laughs in this movie. It was more like a few peppered here and there, though I guess it depends on what you find funny. Interesting that you found the almost laser beam-ed cleaning lady part funny. Didn't really appeal to me.

One of the funniest parts for me is when Bill Murray goes to the "Gatekeeper's" room, and she opens the door, all flowing and mysterious, and asks if he's the Gatekeeper. He says "no" and she closes the door. Then she opens it and asks the same question, and he says, "yes" before going inside. Then again, I found most of the funniest parts to be Billy Murray's.

Laurie Sterbens said...

Abby, I wish I could transport you back to the '80s so you could get the whole pop culture experience with Ray Parker Jr. on MTV and Bobby Brown's theme song on the radio. Of course, I am too young to remember all this and am just an excellent researcher. ;) I agree, the movie, in itself, wasn't something I'd seek out after seeing it the first time, though when I got it for the class and my son grabbed it and wanted to watch it that night,I enjoyed it, just like pretty much anything with Bill Murray in it.