Friday, December 2, 2011

A Christmas Carol




A Christmas Carol. What can I really say about this story? In all honesty, I was not really looking forward to reading this one. Why? Not only because I know the story, I mean how many of us have been read/told this story and have also seen how many versions of it? Anyway, I like the story a lot – really, I do – I just dislike Charles Dickens so, so much.

The story. Let’s talk about it. As I just stated, I like it. I think that the characters, especially Scrooge, are fabulous. I’m not sure about anyone else, but I can think of at least a few people that I know in real life that are like ol’ Ebenezer (you know, just very unhappy and miserable…with everything). He comes across as a character that you shouldn’t like. He’s mean. He’s miserable. Yet, I felt bad for him. He’s lonely. He has a reason to be so mean and miserable, even if it all was his own fault. I enjoyed going on this journey with Scrooge. I like how we see Scrooge come around and “evolve,” so to speak, by visiting the past, present, and future. I loved meeting the different ghosts. Can I admit that I have seen the Mickey Mouse version of A Christmas Carol waaay too many times and I always visualize Jiminy Cricket as the Ghost of Christmas Past? Therefore, as I read about the small, childlike figure…well, I just couldn’t stop thinking about Jiminy Cricket. Curse you, Disney animation. Eventually, I got past that and really got the image of the ghost.

Anyway, I thought that the story had a lesson for everyone to relate to in some way or another – either with past events and regrets, greed and success, or simply happiness. We all make choices, sometimes thinking that they are for the best, and then we look back and regret some of them. Granted, I doubt we all would push away everyone we know and care for because we want to be rich and successful, but you never know. Maybe you know someone like that! Scrooge’s journey from what was, to what is, and to what’s to come makes him more of a likable character. As I already said, I felt bad for him from the start. It’s not that I really liked him; I guess I just pitied him for how he was and how he treated people. As we see him realize how he treated people to get his “success,” he becomes a more likable person because we get to see why he is the way that he is – or maybe it’s simply because of his own realization? Of course, it brings various questions up. Is money the root of all evil? Can money buy happiness? Does success equal happiness? I guess there could be simple answers to all of those, but regarding this story and other stories, would the answers be the same?

The good and the bad. The story/plot is fabulous. Kudos, Charles Dickens. The story is lovely, as are the themes it contains. Plus, for it being December it really puts you in the holiday spirit. The characters are also great, from Scrooge to the ghosts, and to even Tiny Tim. They help create a wonderful world and story that sucks you right into it. I’m that I finally sat down and read the story myself – because I had my own notions about it because it is a very well known story with several adaptations out there. The only thing that I did not like about A Christmas Carol was simply the fact that Charles Dickens wrote it. Let me explain. I think that the stories written by him are actually really great. I just dislike his writing. I feel like I’m a kid in high school complaining about reading Shakespeare. It’s not that the story is horrible, it’s just the way that it is written. Anyway, once I got past that…I enjoyed myself!



By the way, I feel I have to add that I'm going to see my school's musical tonight, A Suessified Christmas Carol. Ironic, just a bit.

3 comments:

Kristina Elyse Butke said...

Ok. I totally get some dork points here, but I am happy you mentioned Mickey's Christmas Carol. Grew up on it and it's one of my favorite versions!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like Dickens humor in A Christmas Carol, but the writing is a bit hard to get past at times. And when you know the story oh so well...it's hard not to skim. Do you remember Scrooge McDuff?? Ducktales. "a woo-oo" :-).

Tanya said...

My favorite Christmas Carol is the Muppet Christmas Carol... haha.

There are people who forsake even their loved ones for money. Think Mark Zuckerberg.

I agree with you about Dickens. Great stories, but I loathe Victorian writing. I do think that this is one of his least objectionable, though.