Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Amityville Horror



I guess a lot of you had some trouble getting into The Amityville Horror. I, on the other hand, had no trouble whatsoever getting into the book. I knew a little bit about the story of what happened, but never truly read the book – so I was excited to read it. Maybe that’s why I got into as much as I did, and as easily. I wanted to keep reading to see what happened next.

I know that we said it was admittedly a “hoax,” but something that I liked about the text was the setup and parallel between the Lutz family and Father Mancusco. I thought that this parallel made it seem more “real” for me – I guess giving another’s testimony to the events makes it more believable for me. If things happened to more than one person regarding the same stuff, did it actually happen?? I tend to think yes, so I suppose most of the incidents in the book appeared real to me. Anyway, back to Father Mancusco and the Lutz family. I found it interesting when something bad happened to the Lutz family, it was usually accompanied by something horrible happening to Father Mancusco. I actually found the events that happened to Father Mancusco worse than those happening to the family. They dealt with sounds, feelings, slime, and whatnot – and there’s the Father with blisters rupturing on his hands. That’s just my opinion though. If I were Father Mancusco, I would have listened to others and stayed away. If I were a member of the Lutz family, I would’ve headed for the hills too. I think out of all the things that we were shown and introduced to in the book, the whole secret red room under the stairs was the creepiest for me. And the fact that George stated it smelled like blood – well, that just made it worse. I will admit, though, that the “happenings” in the Lutz household were getting out of hand by the end of the book. The whole figure standing on the stairs seemed a bit cheesy to me. The green slime/jell-o like substance seemed a bit weird to me as well. I didn’t really get the significance about the green slime.

Now, I’m not sure about anyone else, but I kept waiting for something horrible to happen to the dog. I can take stuff happening to people, but as soon as someone’s pet is hurt, I feel terrible. Same goes with movies – I can take decapitation, mutilation, and whatever of people, but as soon as it happens to an animal I want to turn it off. So, I kept waiting for Harry to be majorly hurt in some way or another.

I know that I stated it on the forum, but one of the main reasons why I like books such as The Amityville Horror is the fact that I like to think that stuff like this really happens and ghosts really exist. Of course, I stand as the one who somewhat believes in it all, but I am also a “see to believe” type of person as well. Nothing has ever really actually happened that scared me so much that makes me believe in it all. Then again, I’m not really sure how I would truly react if something did. I think I could take the noises and such happening, but I’m not sure about other stuff.

Something that I liked, but also didn’t like, was the way the book was written – and by this I mean the plain, this is the way it happened way of writing. We weren’t really put into the position of the Lutz family; we were told what had happened to them and Father Mancusco. I think that this style of writing made the book go fast for me, but it was more or less a story being told to me. I’m not sure if I would like the book more or less if it was switched to putting us in the story – maybe from the perspective of George, or switching between anyone involved in the events. It may have seemed more creative if told in this manner, but I also think it would take away the “realness” of the story.

At the end of the day, I liked the book. I found it interesting – real or fake – and I enjoyed reading it. Some of it may have been cheesy or outlandish, but some of it seemed as though it could happen, and that’s why I liked it.

4 comments:

Chris V said...

Funny you should mention how if something ever happend to the dog, you'd be disgusted and want to turn off the movie or put the book down. Did you read the movie based on this book? It's not that good in my opinion, but it's interesting how they try to make it more intense and dramatic for the viewer, even if it means not being truthful to the book (but what else is new?).

Also (not to spoil it), at the very end Harry gets left behind and the Lutzes have to go back to rescue him, so the dog became the biggest stake at the end, which I thought was hilarious based on what you said. I also thought it was cheesy in the movie lol, but that's me (and, of course, it didn't really happen according to the book).

Chris V said...

Oh - I watched the 1979 version, just so you know.

Kristina Elyse Butke said...

You know, I never even considered the fact that the author was trying to set up a structure in the text, when he parallels Mancuso and the Lutzes. I missed this because my brain turned into the green slime that dripped down the walls of their house.

I always like reading your posts. You point something out I overlook every time.

And I do agree with you, I do think part of the thrill of reading a "true ghost story" is to seek validation for your beliefs, whether or not you believe or are a skeptic. That's probably why I was happy to see this book on our reading list, since it's a "true story", but unfortunately, when I actually read it...well, you know.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the POV and writing style. I happen to think the Lutzes should have just told the story. They lived it after all and only they knew the TRUE story. I mentioned this in my blog, but it read like a cheesy re-enactment to me. It wasn't the outlandish happenings that took me out of the book at much as the way conversations sounded...somewhat scripted. It's funny you mentioned the red room and how it smelled like blood. That was one part where I rolled my eyes. Not because they found this hidden room, but because their exchange felt forced. Something about the writing turned me off.

I love the Amityville legend though. And I'm glad I had the chance to read the book.